IRS Tax Form 4506T (Long Form): Requesting Old Tax Returns

| February 9, 2011

IRS Form 4506 T is entitled Request for Transcript of Tax Returns and is used to get copies of prior tax filings. This is the long form which is used for individuals and companies that file their tax forms based on non calendar fiscal years. In other words, if you’re a fiscal tax filing year begins and ends on dates other than January 1 to December 31, you must use this form. If you file your taxes based on the calendar year, you can use the short form which is 4506T-EZ .

Form 4506 T Demographic Information

Box 1a, 1b, 2a and 2b is where you insert the name and taxpayer identification number of the tax filer. If it is a joint account, you fill out the boxes 2a and 2b. If not, leave them blank.

Insert your mailing address in box 3 which includes the address, city state and zip code. Complete box number 4 only if the mailing address for the prior year tax return is different than your current mailing address. In other words, if you’re requesting transcripts for taxes that were filed two years ago while you were living and at a different location, insert the old location address in box number 4.

Third Party Authorization4506T

If you would like your old tax returns to go to a third party such as the mortgage company bank or an accountant, you must complete questions 6 through 8 on Form 4506T. In questions 6 you advise the IRS which tax form number you are requesting (i.e., 1040, 1065, etc). You may only request one type of tax form per transcript request.

The remaining questions in the third party authorization section are questions that help to protect your privacy.

Transcript Years and Signature

The last question, question 9, is where you insert the years of the tax returns you are requesting. Insert only the ending date for each year. It must be in the mm/dd/yyyy format. Form 4506T allows you to request four tax years. If you are requesting more than four tax years of transcripts, you must submit an additional Form 4506T

Sign date and mail the form to the appropriate Internal Revenue Service office. Make sure to review the mailing address is on page 2 of Form 4506T. The mailing address differs depending upon your location. These forms are processed regionally and you must make sure you send it to the appropriate regional IRS office.

Please be aware that although filing 4506T is free, there is a fee for getting a copy of your tax return. If you do not wish to fill out this form, you can call the IRS by using their 800 number (1-800-908-9946) or visit the IRS website and click “Order a Transcript.”

Tags: ,

Category: Form 4506T, Tax Forms, Taxes

About the Author ()

Felicia A. Williams is a wife, mother, freelance writer and owner of Tidbits About Money.

Comments are closed.