≡ Menu ≡ Categories Menu

You are here: Home » How to Satisfy the Alabama Insurance CE Requirement

How to Satisfy the Alabama Insurance CE Requirement


After passing the Alabama state insurance licensing exam, insurance producers must take CE classes to stay on top of the latest insurance developments.

Insurance producers in Alabama are required to take 24 hours of continuing education credits given by a state-approved education provider. Of the 24 hours, 3 of the hours must be in the area of ethics. Insurance representatives, on the other hand, are required to complete 12 hours of continuing education of which 1.5 must be in ethics. Producers who are employed by another producer and work in the office exclusively do not have to take 24 hours of CE credits. They are governed by the same rules that apply to customer service representatives and therefore only have to take 12 hours (1.5 of ethics).

One attractive aspect of the Alabama insurance continuing education requirements is that licensed insurance professionals can carry over a maximum of 24 credits from one licensing period to the other.

Exemptions from Alabama Continuing Education Requirement

If you hold certain insurance designations, you are exempt from taking the continuing education requirement. The exempt designations are as follows:

  • Associate Risk Manager (ARM)
  • Certified Financial Planer (CFP)
  • Certified Health Consultant (CHC)
  • Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC)
  • Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)
  • Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU)
  • Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
  • Registered Health Underwriter (RHU)
  • Registered Employee Benefits Consultant (REBC)

Finding Continuing Education Providers

The Alabama Department of Insurance has a Continuing Education Provider Look-up database located on the State Based Systems (SBS) website. The database contains a listing of all state-approved continuing education providers.

Once you navigate to the Education Provider Look-up page fill in the necessary search criteria to find a listing of approved courses. Although the website does not specifically state that you must use Internet Explorer 6.0 or better, it is recommended that you do so. Using a browser other than Internet Explorer will display the necessary information but it will not display in a reader friendly format (this is especially true if you’re using the Firefox web browser). Until the programming error is fixed, it is best to use Internet Explorer 6.0 or better when using the SBS online search function.

The database, when functioning properly, will display the provider name, course group (line of authority), education provider address and a link to the list of approved courses offered by the provider. Clicking the “approved courses” link will bring you to a page that provides information such as course name, credit hours, method and the contact information for registration.

Tracking Continuing Education Credits

You will receive a certificate of completion for each successfully completed class. Make sure to file the certificate in a secure place in the event a question arises as to whether or not you have sufficient credits in order to renew your license.

In addition to maintaining a file of your certificates, you can use the tracking system offered by the Alabama Insurance through SBS to track the number of credits taken. While SBS tracks the credits, they do not maintain a copy of the certificate of completion. If a discrepancy arises, you will have to forward a copy of your certificate to the state.

You must register with SBS and set up an account prior to using their tracking system. After you have an account, you’ll be able to print your license, request continuing education exemptions or extensions and view a copy of your transcripts.


About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a wife, mother, freelance writer and owner of Tidbits About Money.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment