≡ Menu ≡ Categories Menu

You are here: Home » Connecticut Unclaimed Funds

Connecticut Unclaimed Funds

Connecticut Unclaimed Funds

If you lived in the state of Connecticut for any period of time, there is a chance you have funds sitting with the Connecticut State Treasurer waiting for you to claim them.

Where do Unclaimed Funds Come From?

That’s a good question. Funds could come from forgotten bank accounts, escrow interest on sold property, long forgotten utility deposits and much more. In today’s economy, it’s hard to imagine someone ‘forgetting’ money and leaving it in an account somewhere, but these things do happen.

Claiming Your Unclaimed Funds in Connecticut

All you have to do is click over to the Connecticut State Treasure Unclaimed Property Owners List and insert your last and first name in the appropriate boxes. Or, if you owned property in Connecticut, insert the Property ID and click “Search Properties.”

If after searching the properties, your name comes up as a person who has an outstanding claim, claiming the funds is real simple. Insert a check in the box next to the property or properties displaying your name and click, “Claim Properties.”

After selecting the appropriate properties, insert your name, address, email and phone number in the appropriate fields and click “Submit Claim.”

Providing the Necessary InformationConnecticut Unclaimed Funds

Unlike New York or Texas where you have the option to file your claim online, Connecticut requires you to print out the pre-filled form and mail it with the proper documentation to the State of Connecticut Office of the Treasurer in Hartford, Connecticut (they provide the mailing address when you download the form).

In addition to providing the required documentation, you must have the form signed and notarized. Once you mail (or drop off) your form, it will go through the necessary processing. If all of your documentation is correct, the check for the unclaimed amount will be mailed to you.

Claiming unclaimed funds is free, so if someone tries to get your money by charging a finder’s fee, do yourself a favor and go directly to the Office of State Treasurer website directly. Don’t use a middle person.

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a wife, mother, freelance writer and owner of Tidbits About Money.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment