≡ Menu ≡ Categories Menu

You are here: Home » Taxes


Form W-4

IRS form W-4 is also known as the Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. This is the form that you fill out and submit to your employer so your employer will know how much tax to withhold from your paycheck. Form W-4 consists of a worksheet and the actual form to be submitted to your employer. The [...]

Power of Attorney

If you wish to dispute an IRS ruling or a tax liability, but prefer to appoint someone who is better able to champion your cause, you need to complete and file Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. With this form you can name an individual or corporation to represent you in your [...]

IRS and Social Media

IRS2Go App

When it comes to social media, the last thing you would think of is the IRS, isn’t it? It’s time to change your way of thinking because the IRS has changed the way it disseminates information. They’re getting with the program and are offering several ways to keep the general public up-to-date with new developments. [...]

Form 941

Federal tax form 941 is called the Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return. Employers must use this form to report wages paid, tips employees received, federal income taxi withheld, employer and employee share of Social Security and Medicare taxes, adjustments to Social Security and medical care taxes that were made this quarter and credit for COBRA [...]

Filing Taxes

Most people breathe a sigh of relief when they are not required to file income taxes. Filing taxes and visiting the dentist are two things most people would rather avoid. However, just like visiting the dentist, it may be in your best interest to file your taxes whether you are required to or not. Why [...]

Tax Refund Check

Don’t be one of the 99,123 taxpayers who did not receive their tax refund check. The Internal Revenue Service has over $153 million of undelivered tax refund checks for the 2010 tax year. According to their website, the average refund amount is $1,547. That’s a lot of money. Cause for Non-Delivery The major cause of [...]

Employer Identification Number

A Federal Employers Identification Number (EIN) is the equivalent of a business social security number. Businesses and some individuals apply for and employers’ identification number in order to report income/withholdings and file tax forms. Some independent contractors (while not required to have one) prefer to use an employers identification number instead of a social security [...]


If you get paid for preparing tax returns, you probably already know that the Internal Revenue Service requires you to get a Preparers Tax Identification Number. Effective January of 2011 all paid tax preparers must obtain a PTIN or face penalties for not obtaining one. How to Apply Online for a PTIN Registering an Account: [...]


Effective January 1, 2011 the Internal Revenue Service requires all tax preparers that charge a fee for tax preparation services to have a PTIN. PTIN stands for Preparer Tax Identification Number. In the past, anyone with the appropriate tax preparation software could prepare taxes for someone else and charge a fee. Such individuals were not [...]

Form 1040X

If you file your federal tax returns and later realize you made a mistake on your returns, there is the possibility you might have to file an amended tax return using IRS Form 1040X. Not all tax return mistakes require the amended tax return form 1040 X. Mistakes like mathematical miscalculations or forgetting to attach [...]